With the new year comes the chance of revitalizing your work and your future. In no particular order, here are brainstormed ideas to jumpstart your efforts to career success in 2019:
- Maintain a good work-life balance. A healthy balance can make all the difference between a good career and a great one. And people admire those that can manage their lives well.
- Improve your skills and knowledge by designing your development steps using the 70-20-10 Rule: 70% on-the-job challenges, 20% mentoring/coaching support, and 10% classes, online courses, webinars, books, articles, white papers, podcasts, TED talks, and conferences, etc.
- Join a professional association or attend industry conferences to meet more individuals in your current or prospective field, gather information, and demonstrate your strengths and abilities.
- Find a mentor or coach either inside or outside of your company who can be a great source of information and career guidance. This will be your go-to person for achieving the success you seek.
- Demonstrate your thought leadership by speaking at conferences, roundtables, or writing articles/blogs. Build a brand as a professional with answers.
- Plan out five ways you can stay healthier at work such as purchasing a standing desk, packing a healthy lunch, taking the stairs, moving more, etc.
- Clean out your junk files physically and digitally. Weed through documents and emails that are no longer relevant.
- Follow a business blog that offers valuable information, insider tips, pep talks, and more.
- Inventory your skills at work and outside of work and figure out which skills you enjoy using the most. Figure out how to do more of those skills!
- Research the jobs and companies that most interest you and figure out what you need to accomplish to get there.
- Talk to friends, family, coworkers, and mentors to learn more about other jobs and career options.
- Update your LinkedIn Profile and resume by highlighting key accomplishments including objectives you’ve reached, goals you’ve hit, and recognition you’ve received.
- Reach out to 5 or more connections that you haven’t spoken to in a few years. Share insights with each other.
- Job shadow other employees in your company to learn about different jobs. This can broaden your skills and increase your value.
- Explore lateral moves to broaden and deepen your work experience. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut. Being able to handle multiple jobs can add variety to what you do and broaden your skills.
- Start a discussion group or book club at work to develop knowledge, and share terminology, concepts, and team building with coworkers.
- Speak up. When an opportunity arises that you’re interested in, say something to your manager and express your interest.
- Build and foster relationships outside your direct line of reporting.
- Volunteer for challenges, like serving on special projects and cross-functional teams that open you up to new possibilities.
- Find a co-worker or someone in your network who currently has the position you’re targeting and ask, “What do I need to do to end up where you are?” Listen and do those things.
- Always be yourself. The minute you start pretending to be something you’re not is when your career development begins to descend. In most cases, a company hires you because they like your work and enjoy your personality. So don’t feel pressure to be someone you’re not. A strong work ethic and a good personality and eagerness to learn will often transcend any shortcomings you may have.
Now, go make this your best year yet!!
CALL TO ACTION: Ready to kick-off 2019 by up leveling your leadership skills? Let’s brainstorm strategies to do exactly that. Slot a complimentary 30-min consult here: Schedule Free Consult.
Sign up for more weekly wisdom here: Karen Darrin Blog and receive a free gift, “How to Create Meaning in Your Life.”